|The Prince of Tennis|
|Season 1, Episode 9|
December 5, 2001 (Japan)
The Split Step
| previous arc|
| next arc|
The Hard Day ("ザ·ハード·デイ", Za Hādo Dei) is the ninth episode of the series and the ninth in the Intraschool Ranking arc.
Once Ryoma beats Inui, his position as a regular as set. However, Kaidoh takes the last remaining spot, kicking Inui off the regulars. Instead, Inui is responsible for the training sessions for the regulars. Although the training he suggests is creative and helpful, the punishment for messing up is a full glass of Inui Juice, a rather horrible drink as the regulars soon discover.
Characters Introduced Edit
- No notable characters were introduced in this episode
Tennis Techniques Introduced Edit
- No notable tennis techniques were introduced in this episode
Manga Chapter Equivalents Edit
- Chapter 16: The Cocky Rookie
- Chapter 18: Guys with Great Determination
Anime and Manga Differences Edit
- Ryoma wins with a score of 7-5 in the manga but in the anime it's 6-4.
- In the anime Ryoma does not receive his jersey till after the first practice as a regular but in the manga he has it already.
- He shows his regular jersey to Sakuno instead of with the "Freshmen Trio" in the anime.
- This is the last episode that shows the regulars wearing gray shorts instead of white.
- This is the first episode that 'Inui Juice' appears.