|The Prince of Tennis|
|Season 1, Episode 5|
November 7, 2001 (Japan)
The One Named Viper
| previous arc|
| next arc|
Snake Shot ("スネイク·ショット", Suneiku Shotto) is the fifth episode of the series and the fifth in the Intraschool Ranking arc.
Ryoma has a bit of trouble returning the Snake at first, but quickly learns the footing. However, Kaidoh’s actual plan is to tire Ryoma out by making him run from line to line trying to return the shot. It’s quite a surprise when Kaidoh actually ends up exhausting because Ryoma secretly is also tiring him out by shooting deep shots that make Kaidoh bend his knees. That, and Ryoma disgruntles Kaidoh by learning the Buggy Whip Shot, which is similar to the Snake. In the end, Ryoma wins the match.
Tennis Techniques Introduced
- Buggy Whip Shot (A variation of Kaido's Snake Shot)
Manga Chapter Equivalents
- Chapter 9: Trap
- Chapter 10: A Contest of Wills
- Chapter 11: Want to Defeat a Guy
Anime and Manga Differences
- In the anime Takashi Kawamura is shown to already be a regular even though in the manga he wasn't a regular till the end of the arc.
- When Kachiro and Katsuo ask why Ryoma plays tennis he originally says that there's someone who he wants to beat, hinting that its Nanjiro, but in the anime he doesn't say why.