Hyotei Academy (2nd Year)
King's Primary School (England)
|Japan U-17 Camp||
Court 2 (Former)
Satoshi Tsuruoka (Japanese)
Kabaji Is the stamina house of Hyōtei Academy. He is known for his great speed and adaptability. He rarely speaks and answers Atobe's questions with only a "usu".
Kabaji is the perhaps the tallest member of the Hyotei tennis club. He has slightly dark skin compared to his teammates. He has black hair with small spikes. He, like Tezuka, usually puts on a stoic expression on his face.
He rarely speaks and answers Atobe's questions with only a "usu". However, Inui Sadaharu was able to distinguish the different meanings to his various grunts in tennis during his match against Kawamura Takashi during the Regional tournament.
Kabaji is almost always seen together with his captain Keigo Atobe. Kabaji is also usually tasked with waking up the sleepy Jiro Akutagawa. In Atobe's Gift, the party was meant for Kabaji in order to cheer him up because he can't bear the fact that his sister is going to marry. It was also meant for Kabaji's birthday (but right at the very end of the huge event Kabaji told Atobe that he got the day wrong). Also according to Atobe, Kabaji is actually quite delicate despite his looks and can actually be quite touched emotionally by many events.
He makes his first appearance when Atobe tries to forcefully convince An Tachibana to date him. He partners Atobe in a doubles match against the Akira Kamio/Takeshi Momoshiro team who butts in to save Ann. Kabaji plays a 2 vs 1 match with Atobe just sitting on the court commanding Kabaji to strike balls. The match soon ends with Atobe deciding to call it a quits impressed by Momoshiro's determination in returning Kabaji's power shot.
Kabaji and his other Hyoutei teammates participate in the U-17 camp. He is eliminated during the tie-breaker match and is sent to the mountains to train with the drunken coach along the other middle school losers.
Kabaji is instructed by Masaharu Niou, who creates an illusion of himself to be Atobe, to carry Momoshiro up the mountain they had to climb.
Later he returns to the main camp as a Revolutionary Brigade member with a black jersey. He shares a room with Niou, who named their space 'Niou Kingdom' (a pun on Atobe Kingdom).
Kabaji teams up with Kawamura to defeat the 1st stringers in a Foreign Expedition Group Challenge, where they won and received badges of the representatives.
The following is of Kabaji's known official matches:
|2008 Tokyo Prefectual||Quarterfinals||St.Rudolph||Doubles 2||Atsushi Kisarazu-Yanagisawa Shinya||Won (6-4)|
|2008 Nationals||Quarterfinals||Seigaku||Singles 2||Tezuka Kunimitsu||Lost (6-7)|
|2008 Kantō Regionals||Round 1||Seigaku||Singles 3||Takashi Kawamura||No Game (2-2)|
Playing Style and Techniques
"To be able to defeat an opponent, you must defeat yourself." This is literally the case when your opponent is Kabaji because his simplemindedness allows him to absorb all of his opponent's techniques. Players whose abilities have been copied by Kabaji include Atsushi Kisarazu, Kawamura Takashi, Tezuka Kunimitsu, Jiro Akutagawa and Date Danji. In addition, Kabaji has monstrous power and incredible footwork.
Due to Kabaji's simple-mindedness, he is able to copy an opponent's techniques and play styles by observing it just once. This is known as the Super Copy. This state of mind has allowed Kabaji to copy even the most intricate of techniques including the Zero Shiki Drop and Hyakuren Jitoku no Kiwami. This technique, however, does not overlap into future matches Kabaji might have. Kabaji "forgets" the techniques he copied when the match is over.
U-17 Camp Stats
- Speed: 1
- Technique: 3
- Mental: 4
- Stamina: 3
- Power: 5
- Commitee: student council
- Worst school subject: modern literature/art
- Most frequented spot in school: Atobe's class
- Spends his allowance on: nothing in particular
- Motto: 一寸の虫にも五分の魂・・・です (even a tiny insect has half a soul, meaning you should be considerate to the weak.)
- Favorite Movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Favorite Book: 跡部からもらった絵本 (a picture book from Atobe)
- Favorite Music: 波の音 (the sound of waves)
- Favorite date spot: the sea (the harbor)
- Most desired/needed item: nothing in particular
- Daily routine: arranging all the shoes at the (place where you take off your shoes as you enter a Japanese house
- Dislikes:「面白い事を言え」と言われる事 (being told to say something interesting?)
- Special non-tennis skill: アイロンがけ (doing the ironing)、パッチワーク (the second one means "patchwork")
Tennis Bag Content
- Mobile phone
He has it because Atobe told him to. He gets contacted by Atobe with it, and doesn't use it otherwise, unless in an emergency.
- Huge eraser
He bought this which was the size of his palm. He cuts and shares it with people who forgets their erasers, so it's become much smaller.
- Simple sewing set
He has it with him because the club uniform might fray. He's the best at sewing in the club.
- Letters to Atobe
He gets asked to take letters to Atobe, who is famous both in and outside of school. Usually he gets asked by girls from other schools. He gives them to Atobe after school.
- Water in a bottle (see this)
Mineral water from Italy, recommended by Atobe. It's enriched with oxygen and said to improve sport performance. When he's finished drinking it, the bottle is used for bottle ships.
- In the U-17 camp, Kabaji said himself that since he was separated from Atobe in the losers group, being with Niou was enjoyable.
- While in England, Atobe and Kabaji were in the same grade level due to the UK's education birthday cut off being September 1.
- "Yes." ("Usu.")
- "The winner will be Hyotei." ("Katsu no wa Hyotei desu.")
- (When using an approach shot) "Iii!"
- (When using Hadokyu) "Bau!"
- (When using a drop shot or Feint Drop Volley) "Fu!"
- (When using a lob) "Hou!"
- (When using a passing shot) "Ha!"