Hyotei Academy (3rd Year)
|Japan U-17 Camp||
Court 5 (Former)
Serve and Volley
WILSON HYPER PRO STAFF 7.6 with ROLLERS
WILSON SURGE DST 02 Mid (S1234W)
Yūji Ueda (Japanese)
Although Jirō is always seen napping, one should not be fooled by his appearance. At the Tokyo Prefectural Tournament, he defeated Fuji Yūta in less than 15 minutes. Jirō only perks up when he is playing against a challenging opponent. So far this has happened a few times, including matches with Atobe Keigo, Marui Bunta and Fuji Shūsuke. He is regularly awakened by Kabaji under Atobe's orders since he sleeps moments before his own match.
Jiro is usually half asleep. He has messy blonde hair (orange in the anime) which goes past chin-length. He has brown eyes.
Jirou is usually seen sleeping, giving him the nickname "Sleeping Beauty". When he is playing tennis, especially against a worthy opponent, he will be overly excited about the match. When the match is over, he will go back to napping.
He holds great respect and admiration for Atobe, Fuji, and Marui. In his first year of Hyotei, he was the only person in the tennis club that did not oppose to Atobe being the King of the club. However, Marui seems to be the person he is most in awe of, having been shown to act like a fanboy (and even giving up his habit of sleeping during practice when Atobe set that as a condition for arranging a game between him and Marui). They also both share a love for desserts and sweets.
In the OVA "Another Story II - Jirou's Awakening", when not sleeping, Jirou showed that he's quite an airhead, even openly commented by Oshitari Yuushi and Mukahi Gakuto.
Two Years Prior To The StorylineEdit
Akutagawa along with the rest of the Hyotei seniors began Hyotei academy as freshman and on their first day during assembly endure a speech from the new student body president who to their surprise turns out to be Atobe Keigo. He arrogantly announces that he is the King which Jirou tells Shishido and Mukahi that it makes things interesting while Shishido feels the opposite.
Akutagawa ends up drawing the attention of the whole Hyotei tennis club due to his bad habit of sleeping right through training sessions from the moment he enters the court. Atobe Keigo, Oshitari Yūshi and Mukahi Gakuto decided it would be best to investigate their friend on what could possibly keep him awake.
Shown during an OVA, Akutagawa had a friendly match with his volley rival Marui Bunta just before the tournament.
Akutagawa, like teammates Oshitari Yushi, Ootori Choutaro and Mukahi Gakuto did not appear in the Tokyo Prefectural tournament until after Hyotei were knocked out by Fudomine as Hyotei were arrogant and only sent out 3 regulars to the tournament. They appeared in the 5th place consolation match against St.Rudolph. During the 5th place consolation match at the Tokyo Prefectural Tournament he crushed Fuji Yūta 6-1 in under 15 minutes with his Magic Volley technique.
During the matches in Round 1 of the Kanto Regionals, Jiro wandered off to sleep, causing Atobe to send Kabaji to find him. During his Singles 2 match, Jiro in turn was crushed by Fuji Shūsuke who was fully motivated to defeat Jiro after hearing that he crushed his younger brother Yuta.
Although Hyotei were knocked out in the 1st Round of the Kanto Regionals by Seigaku which prevented them for heading to the Nationals, due to Tokyo being the host city for the tournament, it allowed to give a place in the tournament to their next best team that failed to qualify, which turned out to be Hyotei. This meant Akutagawa could go the Nationals with Hyotei. At the Nationals he wins all of his matches however against Seigaku he was the reserve player.
Jiro and Hyotei Academy cruise through the tournament, crushing last years best four Shishigaku along the way. However Hyotei meet nemesis Seigaku at the Quarterfinals and the two have a long dramatic encounter again. However Hyotei ultimately lose with 2 wins and 3 losses, which ends Hyotei's run. Jiro and Hyotei are present in the audience during the Finals between Rikkai Daigaku Fuzoku and Seigaku.
Along with his teammates that played in the Nationals, Jiro gets invited to the U-17 camp along with many other middle schoolers. Upon arrival, the middle schoolers gather together. A helicopter suddenly drops tennis balls on the floor. The head coach then announces that all players unable to obtain a ball must leave the camp. All middle schoolers are able to obtain a ball.
Later on in the day, the Mental Coach arrives and requests all middle schoolers pair up. Akutagawa pairs with Kabaji Munehiro. He then suddenly declares all pairs must play a quick tie-break game where the loser must go home. Jiro then easily defeats his next High School opponents and reaches the 5th Court along with Tachibana Kippei, Shiraishi Kuranosuke, Tezuka Kunimitsu, Atobe Keigo, Chitose Senri, Ishida Gin, Kite Eishirō, Akutsu Jin, Kirihara Akaya and Liliadent Krauser. Since all the middle schoolers that won their tie-breaks win their shuffle matches, it results in all members of the 6th Court and 5th Court being Middle Schoolers except for Oni Jūjirō The Gate Keeper who is known for staying in the 5th Court to strengthen the lower courts. Oni decides to request the 5th Court be put forward for a Team Shuffle where the winning team replaces the losing team regardless of the players that lost.
Jiro is not selected during the Team Shuffle against the 3rd Court. Due to Irie Kanata allowing his encounter with Atobe in Singles 1 of the Team Shuffle be a draw for his own amusement, it allows the reserve game to take place. Oni surprisingly takes part in the reserve role and crushes the 3rd Court's Takei Toshio. Making the 5th Court replace the 3rd Court which results in Jiro becoming a member of the 3rd Court. Akutagawa is present with the rest of the camp later on when the Top 10 arrive at the main courts and witness the shock upset that No.s 11-19 were defeated and replaced by Middle Schoolers.
Genius 10 Challenge Edit
As the Player Shuffle between the Genius 10 and the Middle Schoolers comes to an end with the Genius 10 members aside from Ochi/Mouri winning their matches and retaining their badges, it is then revealed that the Middle Schoolers were never intended to be part of the U-17 team and were instead called to the camp for the Middle School world tournament.
Playing Style and TechniquesEdit
Jirō is a volley specialist and his play style is Serve and Volley which was inspired by Marui Bunta during their freshman year. Jirō is perhaps the only player in the series who is perfectly content with a loss as long as it is memorable. Jiro is said to be blessed with flexible wrists, which allow him to pull of many of his wondrous volleys.
Due to his god given soft wrists, Jirō can volley at any positions and it is nearly impossible to predict where his volleys will drop.
U-17 Camp StatsEdit
- Speed: 3
- Technique: 5
- Mental: 3
- Stamina: 3
- Power: 3
- Hobby: Manga (magazines), Sleeping
- Father's Occupation (family business): Family-owned business (Dry-cleaners)
- Spends his allowance on: New types of Pocky
- Motto: 果報は寝て待て (all things come to those who wait)
- Best Subjects: Technology, P.E
- Worse Subjects: Classics, Chinese
- Committee: off-school activities
- Places often visited in school: Quadrangle, Back courtyard, Rooftop, Infirmary
- Favorite Color: Orange
- Favorite Food: Lamb, Mousse pocky
- Favorite Movie: Will become sleepy no matter what he sees
- Favorite Book: All shounen (young males) manga
- Favorite Music: Will become sleepy no matter what he hears
- Favorite Type: Bright and fun person
- Place you want to go for dates: Manga Cafe
- Thing you want most now: I want a huge sofa in my room
- Routine duties: Changing pillowcase
- Dislikes(/bad at): Tomatoes
- Special non-tennis skill: he can recite all the "stands" in "JoJo", "stand" being a special ability featured in the manga series "Jojo's Bizarre Adventures"
- 07:00 - Rises from bed after his younger sister yanks off his futon, breakfast
- 08:50 - Goes to school (falls asleep twice and is absent from morning practice)
- 09:00 - First Period: Japanese II - Classics (dozes off)
- 10:00 - Second Period: Physical Education - Fencing
- 10:50 - Recess: Dozes in the library
- 11:00 - Third Period: Social Studies I - Geography (dozes off)
- 12:00 - Fourth Period: Music - Classical Appreciation (dozes off)
- 12:50 - Lunch Break: Forgets his bento and gets Atobe to treat him
- 13:10 - Afternoon nap under the shade of the tree in the courtyard
- 14:00 - Carelessly oversleeps and is late for Fifth Period (English Conversation)
- 14:20 - Sixth Period: Technical Skills - Woodworking
- 15:40 - Club Activities: Serve & volley practice
- 17:50 - Falls asleep on his way home and is discovered by Atobe, who sends him home by limousine
- 18:00 - Dozes off while tending to his family's cleaning store
- 19:00 - Is awakened by Mukahi, who brought over some side dishes to share
- 19:30 - Bathes, dinner, changes his pillow cover
- 20:00 - Reads manga, a new volley idea comes to mind
- 21:00 - Falls asleep while doing practice volley swings in the yard
- 22:00 - Is discovered by his older brother, who puts him, fast asleep, back to his room
Note from Taki: His sleeping time was just 8 minutes. Not bad. When I go to borrow books, he's always sleeping in the same seat.
Note from Mukahi: Geez, he's gotten so used to having me and Shishido around! Since our houses are close by, we get put in charge of waking Jirou up.
Tennis Bag ContentEdit
Because he said "I sleep because I'm hungry," the girls in his class put these inside his bag when he was sleeping.
He likes to read manga book better than from a magazine. He borrowed this after his older brother, who likes the same manga, finished reading.
- Bunta's wrist band
He forcibly took this off Rikkai's Marui Bunta during the newcomer's tournament in their ichinen. The maker is Bunta's favourite, Wilson.
- Mobile phone with GPS capability
His parents gave this to him because they're worried about Jiro being able to sleep anywhere. But usually it is out of battery.
- Copies of class notes
His classmates got together and made this for all the subjects for Jiro, worried about him because he sleeps before tests too.
- Alarm clock that adjusts the time using radio waves
A birthday present from members of the club. He likes it but there's no sign of it being used.
- He has been shown able to use his left hand to play .
- He is Hyotei's No.2 player.
- When he is playing in official tournaments Jirō often plays in his boxers. According to Chōtarō Ōtori, this is because when Jirō takes off his sweat pants his shorts also come off with them.
- Jirō has a poster of the movie The Prince of Tennis: Eikoku-shiki Teikyū-jō Kessen! on his bedroom wall.
- He turns off his sheep shaped alarm clock by hitting a tennis ball at it with his racquet.
- Jirō has appeared in all of the Shonen Jump character popularity polls since his introduction into the story. In the second poll, he came in 25th place. In both third and fourth polls, he came in 13th place.
- His tennis style is modeled after John McEnroe.
- Aoi: I also aim for cord balls, so I want to become a volleyer like Marui-san and Akutagawa-san and be popular!
- Akutsu: Do you think you can survive with just volleys? The path ahead isn't that easy.
- Amane: Amane― Akutagawa-san and Marui-san are both volleyers who hit charming volleys..... pfft.
Note: The pun is horebore (charming/impressive) no boree (volleys)
- Gin: Akutagawa-han and Marui-han both live for the moment. Perhaps this is also the way humans should be.
- Inui: The flexibility of Akutagawa's wrists and Marui's finesse are both illogical. I suppose that's what you call the gift of nature.
- Ibu: Occasionally, I can smell the sweet odour of candy coming from someone's bag. I wonder whose it is...
- Irie: or middle schoolers, the two of them are quite something. But that's still not enough, you need to develop more synthesis.
- Ōtori: Both Marui-san and Jackal-san are very strong doubles players, aren't they? I want to play against them someday!
- Oni: Watching them play so cheerfully, it just makes me remember my days as a kid.
- Atobe: I have no doubt that he has a natural gift for volleys, but your moods are too unstable, Jiro.
- Kabaji: Jirou... senpai... please... be awake... during practice.
- Oshitari: Jirou is really cheerful, it's great, isn't it. His smile can somehow... make you feel cleansed.
- Kamio: The other day when I went to the shops, I saw him minding the shop at a dry cleaners! Though, he was sleeping, of course!
- Kawamura: Marui-kun and Akutagawa-kun are both full of confidence, it's enviable! I will have confidence in my power and do my best too!
- Kite: It seems like Akutagawa-kun is wide awake when it comes to Marui-kun's matches, doesn't it? He is asleep for everything else though...
- Kintarō: Whether it's "magic volley" or "tightrope-walking", both are cool~! I want to try it too!
- Krauser: The both of them hit volleys like magic, don't they. Niou-san said the two of them were magicians.
- Kurobe: For what they lack in height, they make up for it in the technique area. There are many challenges, but I anticipate their growth.
- Kenya: Just when I thought Akutagawa was mumbling, it was Stand names from "JoJo". I thought it was a some kind of rap!
- Zaizen: That Jiro guy, why is he always that sleepy? Seriously unbelievable.
- Yūta: I lost during the Prefectural Tournament, but next time I will win against you with my "Double Twist Spin Shot"!
- Taki: Jiro is our mood-maker, I believe. Although he's usually just asleep, he's noisy when awake.
- Sakaki: I'm surprised that you are enduring the harshness of the training camp, being the temperamental person that you are. Strive well in that form. You may go! (itte yoshi!)
- Shishido: Stop it with the "It (that shot) will be returned cleanly...... by Shishido, that is!" at least when you pair up with me in doubles!
- Shiraishi: Akutagawa-kun is someone who is the epitome of the word 'innocence'. It's great to be honest with your own feelings.
- Chinen: Ah, you were here? You're so short, I couldn't see you properly. It will be good if you grew taller during this training camp!
- Tsuge: It is true you two have talent. But if you're content with that, then there is little to no growth for you from here on.
- Hiyoshi: Akutagawa-senpai? ... Can you please stop calling me "HiyoC~" for a change?
- Hitouji: If I have to keep hearing that way of speaking, even without imitating, it seems like it will become my verbal tic!
- Tezuka: You cannot be an athlete with just talent. The present them are most likely the results of the build-up of their efforts.
- Hirakoba: I want to test whether or not that finesse will appear when up against my Habu!
- Fuji: The match at the Kanto District Tournament was fun. I want to play against your volleys again at this training camp.
- Mizuki: nfufu... I know now, Akutagawa-kun. That sleepy face... it's due to your late-night secret training, isn't it?
- Mukahi: I'm in the same room as Jirou and Marui. But when they start their volley talks, you just can't stop them, even until late into the night!
- Ryoma: Come to think of it, I have yet to have a match with Marui-san or Jirou-san, right. Shall we play? In singles.
- "I’m definitely going to keep my service game!" (Zettai service game keep sho!")