14 (The Prince of Tennis)
0.2 (both eyes)
Higa Middle School (3rd Year)
Ryuukyuu Minami Elementary school
|U-17 Training Camp||
Court 5 (Former)
Nationals OVA 1
Tarusuke Shingaki (Japanese)
Captain of the Higa team from Okinawa. Nicknamed Hitman, he has a strong rivialry against Tezuka. Though Higa is painted as a dark and cruel nemesis for Seigaku, there is some indication of a deep bond between the team and the great respect that they all share for their captain. Kite is shown as a strong but violent player, he even goes as serving a ball straight into Coach Saotome Harumi's abdomen when the latter tried to abandon his charges after Higa lost the fourth straight set to Seigaku. Kite often threatens his teammates with eating gōya (bitter melon). He is known to have amazing balance.
Kite wears glasses and has dyed purple hair. In the past, it was black but dyed it purple to look more "cooler".
Kite speaks with polite speech to others, but is willing to omit it if he is angry or provoked.
He cares very much for his teammates, being the driving force of what kept them together during their unorthodox training. Kite was willing to stand up to and hit his own coach Saotome when he called all of the Higa players useless and prepared to leave the court.
During his doubles match with Marui, Kite showed geniune remorse for pretending to betray him. After Atsukyo's techniques become more violent and intense, Kite told Marui to stay back and let him take the hits, as compensation for earlier in the match.
All of Kite's teammates have a deep trust in him. Not only is he responsible for assembling this team of martial arts prodigies, but his tennis is a notch above his comrades.
With an aggressive play style that quickly targets his opponent's weaknesses, Kite shut down every school's ace player at the Kyūshū Tournament and was nicknamed the Hitman. His incredible equilibrioception allows him to use the Shukuchihō to move in any direction he wants.
Kite has the honor of testing Tezuka Kunimitsu in his first official return match. Befitting of a player who registered on Rikkai's radar, Kite jumped out to a 4-0 lead. However, when Tezuka revealed his hidden abilities, a desperate and despicable Kite used his racket to swipe sand in Tezuka's direction. Fortunately, his dirty antic failed. Tezuka unseals his Muga no Kyouchi Hyakku Ren Jitoku no Kiwami combined with his already renowned Tezuka Zone.
After Higa lose to Seigaku in 5 striaght sets, they agree with Eishirou to stop using agressive and violent tennis and try to have more fun when playing. Kite and the rest of his team are seen watching Seigaku defeat Rikkai in the finals of the Nationals Tournament but unfortunately end up missing their flight back home to Okinawa in Kyushu.
Prior To U-17 CampEdit
Shown in the Another Story OVA series, Unfortunately for the Higa Chuu regulars, their coach no longer cared about them after they had missed their flight. This was due to their mistreatment of him and standing up to his ways.
They end up in Osaka while working ascleaners for a temple and bump into the Seigaku tennis club, who were on a trip to Osaka for their joint training session with Shitenhoji tennis club.
Sometime afterward, Kite was shown to be walking through a field in Okinawa, and was cut on a cheek accidentally by a farmer uprooting a plant. Seeing that the farmer was a senior, Kite decided to help the farmer as he had a soft spot for the elderly. Kite and Higa then receive their invitation to the U-17 Camp.
Upon returning from England (Movie 2), Kite along with Hirakoba Rin, Kai Yūjirō, Chinen Hiroshi, and Tanishi Kei immediately receive their U-17 Camp invitation and are told to travel by raft by their coach.
Kite along with his Kyushu teammates Hirakoba Rin, Kai Yuujirou, Chinen Hiroshi and Tanishi Kei receive invites to the Japan U-17 Camp. Upon arrival, the middle schoolers gather together. A helicopter suddenly drops tennis balls on the floor. The head coach then announces that all players unable to obtain a ball must leave the camp. All middle schoolers are able to obtain a ball.
Kite along with all the other middle schoolers are told to pair up but then they are suddenly told they must play a tie-break against the person they paired up with. Kite paired up with Kai and wins the tie-break 7-0. Further emphasizing his power as he was able to easily defeat someone who was on par with Kikumaru Eiji. After the Middle School winners see off the losers, he then goes on to defeat all of his High School opponents and becomes a member of the 5th Court.
The 5th Court then wins against the 3rd Court in a Team Shuffle due to Irie pretending his arm was damaged despite being perfectly fine in his match against Atobe who had fainted. Which results in all players from both courts to switch places. Making Kite a member of the 3rd Court.
U-17 Camp RevolutionEdit
Kite is at the courts when the Top 10 arrive to meet the rest of the camp as they await the results of the Foreign Expedition Group Challenge matches. To the Camp's surprise, Middle Schoolers replace the No.s 11-19 as they defeated them and then Kite and others challenged the Top 10. However, Hōō Byōdōin the No.1 instantly hushed them with his intimidating demeanor. He allowed the Middle Schoolers to challenge them nonetheless so No.7 Kimijima Ikuto decides to create a rota that would allow the Middle Schoolers to challenge the Top 10.
Kite bumps into Marui Bunta at the training grounds of the camp almost knocking his drink on the floor but saves it with his Shukuchiho. The two decide to train together. Kite is then present with the rest of the camp members watching the challenges from Middle Schoolers against the Top 10.
Genius 10 ChallengeEdit
After Keigo and Niou defeat Tsukimitsu and Juzaburo, Atsukyo challenges him to a Match, and after Gin's defeat at the hands of Watanebe Duke, Kite and Marui prepares to take on Atsukyo Tono and Ikuto Kimijima for the 3rd Match. The audience comment that Kite and Marui make a good doubles pair.
It is eventually revealed that Kite is betraying Marui simply because Kimijima asked him to betray Marui. This makes the match 3 vs 1. However it was also later revealed that Kimijima was sick and tired of having Atsukyo as his doubles partner and asked Kite to pretend to betray Marui.
When Marui started stopping Kite from getting the ball with his Perfect Fortress, Kite saw this as an opportunity and hit a Habu that went past Marui and hit Kimijima in the face, a symbol of breaking off his deal with him. The pair finally resumes working together and build a sense of trust, with Marui getting the front of the court while Kite covers the back and hits the Habu whenever he gets the ball. However, Atsukyo throws his racket at Marui while making it look like an accident, causing Marui's right eye to be bandaged. Knowing that Perfect Fortress could no longer be used and Atsukyo would no doubt continue with his Execution techniques, Kite runs in front of Marui just in time to take the hit he would've taken. Kite then warns Marui to stay back, wanting to atone for his betrayal earlier in the match.
Kite endures all of Atsukyo's remaining Executions, coughing up blood and being barely able to stand by their end. Kimijima then interferes with Atsukyo's smash and hits the ball at Marui, saving Kite from enduring another blow. Marui then hits the ball at Atsukyo's kneecap and Kimijima finishes the match. Kite is then taken by Marui to receive treatment.
Playing Style and TechniquesEdit
Kite is Known for Using an Aggressive Tennis Style which Earned him the Nickname "Hitman". He has Incredible Balance which make him the Best at Using Shukuchiho out of the Higa Players. It's been Stated that he Taught the Higa Team Almost all of their Techniques.
A martial arts-based technique. Where as his teammates can only use this step in the front-back direction, Kite can use it in all directions.
A serve that packs a lot of power.
The ball curves wildly after it bounces. It can be used as a serve, a smash and even a forehand.
Whereas the Habu only curves after the ball lands, the Giant Habu curves immediately after leaving the racket. This was Shown During His Match With Marui Against Atsukyo Tono and Ikuto Kimijima to Pass through Marui's Wonder Castle.
By using the racket with a reverse grip the Viking Horn shot, which curves before reaching the opponent's side. this attack is utilized by waiting for the opponents reaction and at the last second, striking back to the opposite side of the reaction. Making it extremely difficult for the user to return the shot. Kite taught this move to Kai.
U-17 Camp StatsEdit
- Speed: 4
- Technique: 5
- Mental: 4
- Stamina: 4
- Power: 3
- Foot Size: 25.5 cm
- Hobby: Going to Theatres
- Father’s Job: Company employee (Apparel)
- Spends Allowance On: Glasses care, Hair dressing place
- Favourite Motto: Win by force
- Strong Subject/s: Chinese literature, Earth science
- Worst Subject/s: None
- Committee: Evaluation committee
- Most frequently visited spot at school: Club room
- Favourite Colour: Black, Purple
- Favourite Food: Sookisoba, Gooya chanpuruu
- Favourite Movie: 80’s France movies
- Favourite Book: Fashion Magazine
- Favorite Music: Schubert
- Type of girl: Quick-witted woman
- Date Spot you want to go: Casino
- Thing you want right now: Ankle boot
- Daily Routine: Hair set (1hr 15min)
- Dislikes: Earthquake
- Special skill: Okinawan Martial Arts, Costume Design
Daily School LifeEdit
- 04.30 - Wakes up, practices Okinawan martial arts forms
- 05.00 - Spends 1 hour and 15 minutes setting his hair, has breakfast
- 07.00 - Arrives at school, morning practice
- 08.20 - Helps with the goya field behind the clubhouse
- 08.40 - First Period: At his homeroom teacher’s request, looks after a hungover Saotome
- 09.40 - Second Period: Social studies; Okinawan history
- 10.50 - Third Period: Science; frog dissection
- 11.50 - Fourth Period: Music; Okinawan folk songs
- 12.40 - Lunch break. Has the mixed goya DX and brown sugar ice cream
- 13.10 - Orders Tanishi (who ate too much) to do muscle training, and keeps an eye on him
- 13.30 - Fifth Period: English; listening
- 14.30 - Sixth Period: Maths; small test
- 15.30 - Makes a report on accounts at the advisory committee meeting
- 16.00 - Club activities. Works on physical strength with free-diving, tactics meeting
- 18.00 - Scatters some delinquents he encounters whilst hanging around the glasses shop on his way home
- 19.00 - Returns home, has dinner
- 20.30 - Upon hearing that Kai hasn’t come home, goes out to look for him
- 22.00 - Takes a bath, thinks up a new uniform design
- 23.30 - Goes to bed listening to Schubert
Note from Rin: Eishirou, you’ve gotta do something about that field. You even have your own watering can- you’re getting too into this!
Note from Shiranui: Somehow, the captain was the only one who knew there was a test. What’s more, the teacher gave him a frightened look…
- Since they were kids, he always been ordering Kai and other people.
- He won in an Okinawan Martial Art Competition when he was a kid.
- He was also in the same class as Kai during their freshman year.
- He won the Grand Prix in a fashion competition.
- He once won 2nd place in a marathon for using Shukuchihou.
- Pi-chan can threaten the club members by saying “I’ll feed you gouya.”
- He won in a school cooking competition because he scared the judges with his entry: gouya.
- It was only is his 2nd year that his hairstyle changed to regent.
- During their 2nd year, the tennis club presented a fashion show in the cultural festival and he designed all the clothes.
- During breaks between classes, he would always go to the bathroom and fix his hair.
- The first think he does after waking up is practice Okinawan Martial Arts.
- He always prepares for his lessons and is considered a model student.
- There is a gouya field behind the clubroom and he helps maintain it.
- He takes really good care of his friends/club members. When Tanishi ate too much, he ordered him to do some exercises and watched over him. When he found out that Kai was still not home even though it’s already late, he went out to look for him.
- He is the one who designed the Higa Chuu uniform and is even, now, thinking of new designs.
- Kite's original hair colour is black.
- He can apparently stand on one leg for 19 hours.
- He and Kai have been friends since childhood.
- When he was 6-7 years old, Kite went to an elephant park with Kai’s family.
- Prior to becoming captain, Kite used to hate gouya as much as Rin does.