|The Prince of Tennis|
|Season 1, Episode 6|
November 14, 2001 (Japan)
| previous arc|
| next arc|
Echizen Nanjiro("その男, 越前南次郎", Sono Otoko, Echizen Nanjirō) is the sixth episode of the series and the sixth in the Intraschool Ranking arc.
Inoue and Shiba head off to visit Nanjirō Echizen. However, when they reach him, Nanjiroh declares that he will only answer any questions if Inoue can get one point past him in a match. Unfortunately, no matter how hard Inoue tries, Nanjiroh is simply too experienced. Still, he does state that Ryoma’s current tennis style is a copy of his and for Ryoma to improve, there is something he must do. Meanwhile, Ryoma is shown playing tennis identical to his father.
- No notable characters were introduced in this episode
Tennis Techniques Introduced
- No tennis techniques were introduced in this episode
Manga Chapter Equivalents
- Chapter 41: Go, Sushi, Go
- Chapter 42: New Challenge
Anime and Manga Differences
- When Inoue and Shiba first meet Nanjiro its after Ryoma beats Shinji Ibu in the Tokyo District Preliminary arc.
- Ryoma instead tells that the reason why he plays tennis to Sakuno than the "Freshmen Trio" in the the anime.
- Nanjiro smoked while playing against Inoue in the manga but this was most likely censored out for the anime.